For Immediate Press Release
Toronto, January 13, 2019
7th Annual One Love Awards Gala will be held on Saturday, February 2nd at Elite Banquet Hall, 1850 Albion Road in Toronto with Keynote by the American University female Chaplain Tahera Ahmed discussing the indispensable nature of diversity chaplains’ prisons!
In recognition of inmates’ reintegration, the One Love gala was inspired by Bob Marley’s song one love!
Seven years ago, when diversity chaplaincy was under threat, thanks to a Minister who thought otherwise.
“I was sitting distraught and this song was playing. I thought to myself that we must have an event that both celebrates our work with those incarcerated and advocates for the continuation of this crucial service. The name suited it so much as interfaith leaders and people from all walks of life joined us for an evening of much love!” says the Minister.
Several inmates and chaplains as well as entertainers are in the lineup and expected attendance will be over 300 from diverse backgrounds.
With acting portfolio in theatre and cinema, the Master of Ceremony is a known name in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) for his charm and communication skills and has hosted numerous high-end events Globally, none other but Mr. Tushar Unadkat.
Awards Presentations include (in alphabetical order):
· Carl Jadunandan — the late, baseball youth who inspires — for successful reintegration
· Chaplain Orev Katz — Jewish Chaplain and inclusion and diversity advocate
· Ghulam Sajan — the late, humanitarian award — successful inmate reintegration
· Joey Twins — Innocent Cree woman freed after 27 years
· Joseph Grmovsek — after charged for financial crime
· Lyla Ali — the late, single mother award
· Malcolm X — the late — for fighting for freedom
· Motiar Mohamed — charged whilst young
· Tayyibah Taylor — the late, Chaplain’s award for Social Justice
· Warren Gambino — freed after 11 years on wrongful expert witness
Charity of choice this year is Looking at the Stars foundation that take classical music into prisons for free.
Funds raised during the 2018 Gala went towards:
· purchasing two wudu units for the prison
· supporting Feat Children bus service
· purchasing religious items
Ticket prices are between $65 to $75 per person.
For more information contact event co-chairs, Chaplains Habeeb Alli and Julianne Martin at
416 823 1738 or www.onelovegala.org